photo NavigationBarhome_zpscfaeeff4.jpg photo NavigationBarabout_zps8dbf3d44.jpg photo NavigationBarfashion_zpsf1701eb8.jpg photo NavigationBarfamily_zpse5ffdf34.jpg photo NavigationBareveryday_zps99ddd9e7.jpg

Can You Hear Her...She Is Calling...

Saturday, February 12

Wisdom. She is calling. Can you hear her?

Proverbs 8:1, 10-11, 17, 35
Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding raise her voice?

Choose my instruction instead of sliver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her.

I (wisdom) love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.

For whoever finds me (wisdom) finds life and receives favor from the Lord.

In 1828, Noah Webster defined wisdom as true religion; godliness; piety; the knowledge and fear of God, and sincere and uniform obedience to his commands. This is the wisdom which is from above. Psalm 90. Job 28. Today dictionary.com defines wisdom as the knowledge of what is true coupled with just judgment as to action. Slightly different definitions. I tend to prefer and live by the first. 


Recently, however, I came across a very practical and helpful definition of wisdom. Joyce Meyer defined wisdom as "making choices now that you will be satisfied with later". While somewhat elementary, this definition has changed the way I look at making choices. Even when faced with the simplest of choices, I find myself stopping and asking the question...Am I going to be satisfied with this choice later? 


Example....Should I have this 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th brownie? Should I hit the snooze once more? Should I pass on exercising today? Should I pass on exercising today? Should I pass on exercising today? Should I buy those cute shoes, even though it means putting it on the credit card? Should I skip flossing? 


If I would have stopped and really thought about the consequences of the questions above I would not have a gut ache, I would not be late to work, I would not be out of shape, I would not be forced to face my husband with irresponsible purchases, and I would not have bloody gums at the dentist. 


Although those examples might seem silly and harmless, this definition has honestly revolutionized the way I think about everything I do. This definition has challenged what I watch, what I listen too, what I say, what I read... you get the point. It has encouraged me to make small changes in my life...skip that second brownie, be on time for work, exercise, shop responsibly (which for me means DON'T SHOP), and yes even floss. It has encouraged me to consider what consumes my thoughts, time and energy. It has pushed me to spend more time in the word and it has taken hold of almost every decision I make, small ones and big ones alike. 


So are the choices you are making now going to leave you with a gut ache, feeling guilty, regretful and unhappy?  Or do you hear wisdoms call? And more importantly, are you going to listen?




1 comment:

  1. Nicely said. I am proud of you for the life of wisdom you lead. Thank you for the reminder.

    Also, I had 6ish cookies today. Wise? no. Yummy? Very! :-)

    ReplyDelete